|(View file PDF)|
Now, move your mouse cursor over “Products” you will see some groups of products such as “Birthday Gifts”, “Christmas Gifts”, “Dolls”, etc. “Products” is a category in your website, and the product groups are also categories that belong to category “Products”. We call “Products” the “parent category” of the product groups.
If you want to sell a new group of products, for example, handbags, you will need to add a category for this group.
In this article, we will practice adding the category “Handbags” to the gift shop website. The Left Menu will have a new item, “Handbags”. On the Top Menu, when we move the mouse cursor over “Products”, the dropdown list will also have a new item, “Handbags”.
Here’s how to do it.
Login the Control Panel as usual. A menu will appear at the top of the screen.
You will need to do 2 steps.
A. Step 1: Add a new category; you will select a display style in step 2.
- Click “Categories” on the menu. The list of existing categories will appear.
- Click the “Add new record” button. A blank record will appear. You need to fill in some most essential boxes.
- Parent Category. Select the parent category of this new category. We are adding a new group of products. This product group is a part of the big category “Products”. We call “Products” the parent category of the category being added. For that reason, we will select “Products” for this box.
- Title. Fill in this box with “Handbags”.
- Columns. Whenever a viewer clicks on a category, the list of products will appear. You can decide how many columns and rows the list will be displayed. Enter the number of columns here. This number is effective only if you select the display style “Product List 2”. We will do this in step 2.
- Rows. Enter the number of rows you want the list to be displayed in each page.
- Click the “Add” button to complete Step 1.
Below the blank record is the list of categories. Your newly added record is at the top of the list. .
B. step 2: Select a display style
When a visitor clicks on a product category, the list of products will be displayed in one of these 2 styles:
- Multiple columns and rows (if you choose “Product List 2” as the display style for this category.)
- Single column and multiple rows (if you choose “Product List 1”, or “Product List 1 Col” as the display style for this product group.)
- Let’s open the record of the newly added category. Click the ID number or the “Edit” button. This record will appear
- In the “Map to Display Style” section, click the “Display Style” box, a drop down list will appear.
- Click the line Product List 2” to select the “multiple columns and rows” style.
- Click the “Add” button. “Product List 2” will appear in the “Mapped to” box on the right side. This means the products will be listed with this display style.
- Click the “Update” button at the bottom of this record to save the change you’ve just made
The message “Record updated successfully” will be shown at the upper left corner.
You have finished adding a category to the website. However, this category will not appear on the website until you have added at least one product to this category.