This article applies to websites that have the advertisement functions.
Advertisements can be placed at several positions on your web pages. You can also decide to place an advertisement on the pages of a specific category or categories.
The above picture shows all the possible positions for advertisements on a homepage that uses a 3 columns interface. These positions are available in all pages of your website.
Each position can display more than one advertisement. Ads can be displayed next to one another, horizontally or vertically, depending on the width of that position.
Ads can share the same position in the timesharing mode. In this mode, each ad will in turn appear for a few seconds.
Ads at the same position can also be displayed in the crawling or rolling mode (i.e.: the ads will move horizontally or vertically within the same position).
Since there are many display positions and many display modes, there are a few things you need to know before you start to place advertisements on the website.
When managing advertisements in the Control Panel, you select a display position by clicking the area in a table which resembles your webpage. In this example, the position on top of the right column is selected shown with orange background. It means the ad will be displayed at the top position of the right column. You can only select one position for each advertisement.
In this table, there are 2 positions marked in purple rectangles. These are the top and bottom positions in the detail page of an article.
Notes: The width of the left and right columns may be adjusted in the System Tools but you should avoid changing these widths. It should be done by an expert and should only be adjusted before you place the very first ads on the website.
Depending on the display position, the sizes of advertisements in a 3 column interface are as follow.
This display type is suitable for a wide position. With this display type, you can place many advertisements, one after another, in a row. The ads should be of the same height.
This display type is suitable for a narrow position. With this display type, you can place many advertisements, one after another, in a column. The ads should be of the same width.
With this display type, the ads will be crawling from the right to the left, one after another. You can place as many ads as you want at this position, but the ads should be of the same height.
This style only works if there are 3 or more ads at the same position. With this display type, the ads will be rolling up, one after another. You can place as many ads as you want at this position, but the ads should be of the same width.
With this display type, the ads will share the same place; each ad will appear for few seconds. You can place as many ads as you want at this position, but the ads should be of the same size.
Placing an advertisement on the website
To place an advertisement on the website, you need to do these general tasks:
In this example, you will be placing an advertisement at the top position of the right column on the home page of the English site. Suppose you have already had the ad image. The image is 235 pixels wide and 80 pixels high.
E. Click “Record Edit” near upper right corner. A blank record will appear.
1. Title. Fill in a title for this advertisement. This data will not be displayed on the website. Enter a title that will help you recognize this advertisement. Example: “Seafood Bay – right column – 6 months”. This box is required. If you forget to fill in this box, you will get an error message when you click the “Add” button.
2. Ordinal. Leave it as is. This number is used to change the order of this ad in relation to the other ads at the same position. An ad with a small number will be displayed nearer to the top (or the left) than the others. The default number is 100.
3. Active. It is checked, as default. It means the ad will appear on the website. Leave it as is. If you uncheck this box, the ad will stop appearing.
Here’s how to do it:
The advertisement image will now appear in the “Advertisement Content” box.
You are not done with this box yet! You still need to insert the link to the advertiser’s website here.
NOTE: If you want to check all the boxes, click the “Check all” button at the bottom of the list. If you want to uncheck all the boxes, click the “Uncheck all” button.
7. Never Expires. Check this box if you wan this ad to appear permanently. In this case, ignore the two boxes underneath.
8. Advertise from Date. Fill a start date here if you don’t want the ad to appear from today. The default start date is today.
9. Advertise to Date. Fill the end date here. This ad will stop displaying on this date. If you forgot to select an end date, this ad will still appear for one week because the default end date is one week from today.
10. (Advertisement Type) Display Type. In this example you will select “Vertical Sequence” as the Display type. Click the small circle on the same line with “Vertical Sequence”.
11. Display Position. In the Display Position section, find the section named “Right Column” then click the area named “Top”. You’ve just selected the position for this ad.
The advertisement record will look similar to this after you have filled in the necessary boxes.
G. Click the "Add" button at the top or bottom of the screen. The message “Data added successfully!” will appear near the upper left corner.
H. Go to your website to check if the advertisement has been added. You need to refresh the web browser to update the web page. You will also need to click on the ad image to see if you can go to the advertiser’s website. Until then, you can be sure that you have completed the task.
If you don’t see the advertisement, you will need to go back to the advertisement record and check every data. The common causes are: